Thursday 6 March 2014

International Marketing & Context Photography

With this assignment I was to create a festival with a group of 4 to 5 fellow student. At first we researched over festivals that were recommended to us, the one festival that stood out for our group was photomonth in Krakow, I think that it stood out to use because it was a sort of straight forward festival with small event within the festival for people to show their portfolios to the photographers at the festival. We looked at this festival and we got some ideas for our own festival.
After researching the photography festivals we started thinking of theme and location for our festival. The theme we original chose was culture but after some talking we decided to narrow it down to identity with gives a wide range of ideas for a series of photos. The location is Riga Latvia. we chose this location because it is the capital city of culture for 2014 so we thought it was a great location for a festival with the idea of culture behind it.
After choosing our theme and location we had to decide on each of our practitioners that we could also have at the festival the practitioner have to have something similar to what we are going to do with our own series. The idea that I had for the festival is body art because a lot f people ether use Mack-up, peiseings and tattoos to be a part of their identity. I chose to focus of tattoos because almost everyone gets one and because they are personal they mean something .The practitioner that I chose was peter baste who photographed Norwegian black metal, the series show people mainly men with a lot of dark Mack-up on I thought that this would be a great example of how people use body art to create their identity
For the first set of photos I photographed different tattoos and some of my dad’s tattoos but because I wanted to show that people get them to have meaning so I decided to focus on my dad and his tattoos because I know what they meant to him and myself since he has had them since I was young. So I did a set of photos that are of my dad getting ready for work in the morning since he spends it without a top so I could get his tattoos in them.
With the festival we organised what we were to do. We got the venue which was Riga art space which I think was a good choice since it in the city centre and it also has a large hall were the exhibitions will be. We decided that we would also get some advertisement so matt smith a member of our group[ created the logo, poster and leaflets that would be placed around the city and handed out to the public we researched what frames we would use, how many and the cost of this. We used a table to show the full cost of the festival.
The presentation is something that has never really liked doing as I become quite nervous but with their being a group and not doing it alone it became a lot easier to do. I really enjoyed doing this assignment as I have not really thought how much organizing goes on in creating a festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment