Thursday 17 October 2013

Josef Koudelka

Josef Koudelka who is a  Magnum photographer, also recounts the story of taking photographs during the Prague invasion in Czechoslovakia in August of 1968. He took the photographs for himself, without the intent of publishing them

“What was happening in Czechoslovakia concerned life directly: it was my country, my problem. That’s what made the difference between me and the other photographers who came there from abroad. I was not a reporter. I didn’t know anything about photojournalism. I never photograph ‘news’. I photographed gypsies and theatre. Suddenly, for the first time in my life, I was confronted with that kind of situation, and I responded to it. I knew it was important to photograph, so I photographed. I took these pictures for myself, with no intention of publishing them”.
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2012/10/03/10-things-street-photographers-can-learn-from-magnum-contact-sheets/

1x1.trans 10 Things Street Photographers Can Learn From Magnum Contact Sheets


1x1.trans 10 Things Street Photographers Can Learn From Magnum Contact Sheets

Contact sheet of Josef Koudelka, “Prague Invasion”, Czechoslovakia, August 1968.

No comments:

Post a Comment